2020 Virtual SewBatik Challenge "Reflections"
In honor of this special anniversary of one-of-a-kind quilts, we are excited to announce the 2020 Virtual Quilt Challenge: "Reflections"
For the past 10 years, SewBatik challenge entries have adorned the VQF Exhibit hall. While the 2020 challenge (“It’s a Circus”) is postponed until 2021, we can't just skip a year!
"Reflections" will celebrate all past challenge fabrics + themes, including a new fabric inspiration. Follow the steps below to join the challenge and submit your quilt for some wonderful prizes!
Step 1: Fabric
Purchase ($10) a new 2020 Reflections Challenge Packet from SewBatik OR use a SewBatik Challenge Packet that you previously purchased at VQF between 2011 through 2019. Re-entry of previously judged entries will not be accepted. However, did you almost finish a previous entry, but never submitted to the Festival? Enter previous, un-submitted entries to 2020 "Reflections" Virtual Challenge.
Step 2: Select a Challenge Theme
Interpret what your chosen theme means to you.
Challenge Themes by Year:
2011 - VQF 35th Anniversary
2012 - Weather Patterns
2013 - Summer Solstice
2014 - Winter Wonderland
2015 - Whimsy
2016 - Celebration
2017 - Illusion
2018 - Happiness Is...
2019 - Fairy Tales
2020 - Reflections
Step 3: Create
Let your creativity flow as you sew your Reflections Challenge piece!
- Entrants can use two fat eighths of SewBatik Challenge fabric from previous years OR the quarter yard of batik fabric enclosed in the new challenge packet
- A recognizable amount of the challenge fabrics must be used as an integral part of the entry in the body of the quilt, not just in the border. Any amount of other fabric may be used.
- The quilt must be 20 inches square, have three layers (top, batting, backing) and be hand or machine quilted.
Step 4: Pay Submission Fee (BELOW) and Submit Challenge Piece Online
- After completing your wall-hanging, register for the challenge BELOW.
- Online submission registration is open through September 30, 2020.
- Entry fee is $15.00, payable online during registration. After payment for your challenge piece, you will be auto-directed to complete the challenge form, including uploading two photos of your entry.
- Online Viewer's Choice voting will be conducted October 5th through October 12th, 2020. Winners will be announced mid-October, 2020.
- Winning quilts will be on display at the 2021 Vermont Quilt Festival, June 23 - June 26, 2021. Winning quilts will need a 4" sleeve for hanging, and a label. Contact email@example.com for additional coordination for the 2021 Festival.
- All entries will be shown at www.vqf.org and SewBatik.com.
- This is a judged event with Judges Choice, SewBatik Choice, and Viewers Choice:
- Judges Choice: $250 worth of prizes. Judged by Kimberly Einmo
- SewBatik Choice: $150 worth of prizes. Diane & Bruce from SewBatik will select the SewBatik Choice award winner.
- Viewer's Choice: $50 worth of prizes + complimentary packet for the 2021 SewBatik Challenge